The Charles Hosmer - Morse Museum of American Art



Visit Us on Pinterest
Follow Us on Instagram

Collection Highlights

Highlights / Windows

Previous Next Anna B. Innes memorial window

Anna B. Innes memorial window, late 1890s
Chapel, Association for the Relief of Respectable, Aged, Indigent Females, New York City, 1814–1974
Leaded glass
Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company, New York City, 1892–1900
Inscribed: In Memoriam / Anne Innes. / Anna Innes. / Anna B. Innes. / “Thou hast Blessed the work of their hands.”
99 x 45 1/2 in.
(74-007)

For more than thirty years, Tiffany windows from the chapel of a New York City charity home have been the focal point of the Morse Museum’s Christmas in the Park celebration. These windows, returning like old friends on a joyful holiday visit, represent the largest group of Tiffany ecclesiastical windows in the Museum’s collection. The windows are from the chapel of the residence for the Association for the Relief of Respectable, Aged, Indigent Females in New York City, founded in 1814 for “gentlewomen” who had fallen on hard times in their old age. These included widows of the Revolution and the War of 1812. The Association moved its residence in 1883 to an expanded location on Amsterdam Avenue, a Victorian-Gothic building designed by Richard Morris Hunt (1827–95), architect for many of the era’s most elite families. Most of the Association Home’s chapel windows combine religious symbols with flowers, palms, or ivy.  In the Innes window, clematis climbs upward on a trellis toward a dove, the Christian symbol for the Holy Spirit. The women commemorated in these chapel windows were all active members of the Association’s volunteer Board of Managers during the planning and construction from 1881 to 1883 of the Hunt-designed residence on Amsterdam Avenue.

Anna B. Innes memorial window