The Charles Hosmer - Morse Museum of American Art



Visit Us on Pinterest
Follow Us on Instagram

Memories of Christmas in the Park

Thursday, December 3, 2020
Video (10–12 minutes) begins at 6:00 pm
and plays continuously until 8:30 pm
Perfect for a stroll in Central Park

The Morse Museum helps launch the holiday season a little differently this year. “Memories of Christmas in the Park” is a short film running 10–12 minutes featuring images of the Museum’s nine Christmas in the Park windows and the sounds of the Bach Festival Choir, Youth Choir, and Brass Ensemble. A screening of the video begins at 6:00 pm in Winter Park’s Central Park and repeated continuously until 8:30 pm. The annual Christmas in the Park event was started by Hugh and Jeannette McKean, the Morse Museum’s benefactors, in 1979 as a way to share a part of their rare Tiffany collection with the public in an informal setting. The Morse and the City of Winter Park now co-sponsor the yearly celebration.

Helpful Information

Price: Free.

Time: The short film begins at 6 pm and repeats continuously until 8:30 pm.

Where: The film airs at the stage in the northern section of Central Park—about a block from the Museum—near the intersection of Garfield and Park avenues.

Windows: In keeping with tradition, two lit, century-old Tiffany leaded-glass windows, of the normal nine of past events, will be on view during the short film from 6 pm to 8:30 pm.

Seating: Seating is not permitted. The City of Winter Park will be enforcing social distancing and mask-wearing.

Public Transportation: The event is a short walk from the SunRail station. Check out the schedule at the SunRail website.

The Windows of Past
Christmases in the Park

Eight of the Christmas in the Park windows are memorials with religious themes produced by Tiffany Glass Company (1885–92) and Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company (1892–1900) for the chapel of the Association for the Relief of Respectable Aged Indigent Females in New York City (1814–1974).

The Association was founded in 1814 by a group of wealthy New Yorkers as a genteel private charity for elderly, indigent women, including widows of soldiers who fought in the War of 1812 and the Revolution. The first residence, constructed in 1838, was an alternative to the common almshouse. An expanded building was designed later by Richard Morris Hunt, architect to the rich and famous of the late 19th century. The historic building at 891 Amsterdam Avenue is now home to Hosteling International New York City.

When the residence was threatened with demolition in 1974, Hugh and Jeannette McKean bought its Tiffany chapel windows at the request of the Association board. The windows are memorials to prominent women who served on the volunteer Board of Managers during the planning and construction of the Hunt building from 1881 to 1883.

Tiffany Studios’ Christmas Eve window, c. 1902, in which a figure resembling Father Christmas holds the Christ child, is also on view at the event and in the Morse Museum following Christmas in the Park. The window was designed by Thomas Nast (1840–1902), the famous political cartoonist.

RESOURCES:

  • Innes memorial window
  • Innes memorial window, c. 1888–97
  • Chapel, Association for the Relief of Respectable, Aged, Indigent Females, New York City, 1814–1974
  • Leaded glass
  • Tiffany Glass Company, New York City, 1885–92, or Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company, New York City, 1892–1900
  • (74-007)